This update features skin care tips from celebrity makeup artist Gracie Atherton and professional makeup secrets from up and coming artist Regard Tang.
“The most important facial skin care tip that I have to share is- keep your face out of the sun! The sun is the harshest critic to your skin and will cause significant damage over time. Using sunscreen on your face daily to protect your skin from damaging UVA/UVB rays is a must. I have found that it is best to use a moisturizer with SPF prior to applying foundation (rather than using an ‘all in one’ foundation containing SPF protection). The texture and coloration of makeup can be affected by the addition of SPF. Following are my recommendations.”
– Gracie Atherton click here.
Facial Moisturizers with Sunscreen
The SPF 30 UV Protecting Fluid by La Mer -This broad spectrum sun protector contains a combination of bio-fermented algae that helps protect skin against PH, temperature and humidity changes. The Seaweed Ferment attracts moisture to the skin to create a protective, emollient barrier, helping to prevent dehydration. In conjunction with these elements, the fluid contains zinc oxide, which provides for complete sun protection. www.cremedelamer.com
Anthelios 60 Melt-In Suncreen Milk by LaRoche-Posay. For extreme exposure to the sun, this fast absorbing, non-greasy sunscreen provides SPF 60 and broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with the breakthrough Cell-Ox Shield™, to protect your skin, even at the cellular level. It is fragrance and Paba free, great for face & body – outdoors and at the beach. www.laroache-posay.us
Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sun Block in SPF 45 by Neutrogena.This sunscreen contains helioplex® which provides broad spectrum protection against skin aging UVA and burning UVB rays. It is waterproof, non-comedogenic (won’t clog pores), oil free, paba free and, it has an ultra light, non-shiny finish (feels clean and lightweight). Available at most drug stores. www.neutrogena.com
Makeup Artist REGARD TANG is a Los Angeles based artist whose clients include Nike, Neutrogena, Chevrolet, Chevrolet Malibu, Cosmopolitan China, and Elle Hong Kong. Her editorial work has been featured ininternational magazines such as Elle Wedding Magazine (Hong Kong), Cosmo BrideMagazine (China), Cosmo Bride China Magazine, Bello Magazine, Coco Magazine, Modo Magazine, Tinsel Tokyo Magazine, and Content Magazine. Regard is known for her expertise in creating flawless skin tones and for her edgy use of color. Following is a list of Regard’s top 10 favorite products.
1. Nars Aqua Gel Luminous Oil-Free Moisturizer
– Everyone loves having hydrated skin. Doing one little extra step of prepping the skin is really important to achieve this. Nars Aqua Gel Luminous Oil-Free Moisturizers my secret weapon. Use a small amount of Nars Aqua Gel Luminous Moisturizeron the entire face and neck before putting makeup on. Beside daytime, it can be applied as a night cream or hydration mask for emergency usage. The lightweight gel base sinks into skin quickly. It is perfect for all skin types. www.nars.com.
2. Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer
– A natural makeup look is what I’m going after. Heavy and cakey is not my cup of tea. If you want a concealer that has good coverage, but looks natural, Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer is for you! It can be used lightly to cover blemishes, or you can build on it for under eye circles. It is really creamy and doesn’t become cakey. For very dark eye circles, use corrector before using this concealer. www.nars.com.
3. Make Up For Ever HD Foundation
– This Foundation is a well known product and most makeup artists have it in their makeup kit. I cannot describe how much I love it. If you like the dewy look, add a little bit of lightweight daytime moisturizer. It will sheer down the product and make the skin glow. For more coverage, build on the product for full coverage look. www.makeupforever.com.
4. Anastasia Brow Wiz
– Anastasia is a brow specialist and her products are renowned in the industry. I work with several different products including: Brow Powder Set, Tinted Brow Gel and her bestseller, Brow Wiz. The ultra fine pencil tip helps to create perfect brows. I like to fill in the brows and use browbrush to blend the product. It creates full brows with a soft look. Brow Wiz carries six shades. It’s easy to find one to match each person. www.anastasia.net.
5. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer
– One of the most legendary eyeshadow primers and, for good reason. Use a little bit on the eyelids before applying eyeshadow and eyeliner. It will prevent creasing and smudging. The eyeshadow will be more vibrant and long lasting. www.urbandecay.com.
6. Lise Watier Waterproof Eyeliner
– Why does my waterproof eyeliner smudge on to my lower lids? This is a common question many people ask me. Even though a lot of eyeliners say they are waterproof, the skin produces oil – and oil breaks down the makeup. Lise Watier Waterproof Eyeliner is true to the statement. It does the job perfectly and once it sets with eyeshadow, it doesn’t create the smudging problem. www.lisewatier.com.
7. Dior Iconic Waterproof Mascara
– I have tried limitless waterproof mascaras, but most of them smudge and transfer to my lower lids after a few hours. The reason is same as for waterproof eyeliner. It is annoying when your eyes look like a raccoon–not cute! Dior Iconic Waterproof Mascara saves my life. My lashes look fuller and longer and, most important, no more little raccoon eyes. www.sephora.com.
8. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
– If you think contouring is important, I can tell you that highlighting plays the bigger role. Not every face structure needs contouring – especially those with a tall nose bridge, high cheekbones and a small face. In these cases, we can eliminate the contouring and emphasize highlighting. Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette is a beautiful product, very smooth and high quality. Use it on the nose bridge, brow bones, high point of the cheekbone and cupids bow. Instantly, a simple makeup looks more glowing and becomes three-dimensional. www.hourglasscosmetics.com.
9. Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Lip Tar
– 100% Vegan and Gluten-Free with 70+ colors to choose from, who doesn’t love it? A little goes a long way. Besides the regular lip colors, OCC carries all those fun colors like yellow, green, blue, and even black. If you can’t find the color that you love from their line, simply mix two or three colors together and create your own unique color. Be fun and be bold! www.occmakeup.com.
10. Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix
– This product is a must as the last step of a full makeup service. It will seal the makeup and make it last longer. Sometime when I need to refresh my makeup work, I spray it on a model/client’s face and gently pat dry, then do my touch up. www.makeupforever.com.